I love family vacation! I want my children to have a good time and enjoy this precious time we have together, where we aren't rushing around to an appointment or getting dad off to work, it's just us!
I wasn't sure how I was going to top last year or even make it 1/2 as good. How can you top Disneyland, Legoland, Sea World, and the BEACH! I had a huge educational road trip planned, but with Emmett's surgery and all the driving, I quickly rethought it and we'll do it in a few years when the kids are older.
So the next best thing. A little of my original plan and some extra fun for the kids. Off we went - first stop was Lagoon. We arrived in Utah around 5ish and immediately drove to Provo to visit Scott's uncle who just had brain surgery. We explained to the kids about Uncle Woody's head and what to expect. Paige was curious, Trent was not interested and stayed by the door the entire time, and Garhett was kind hearted to sit and talk with Uncle Woody.
Scott, Aunt Sharon and Uncle Woody

Uncle Woody

Aunt Sharon and Paige

After our visit with Aunt Sharon and Uncle Woody, we had some dinner and headed back to our hotel in Ogden. Oh by the way, Happy Anniversary Scott, 14 years ago today!
2nd Day of Fun!!!:Today we started our morning off with a swim, then a late breakfast and arrived when the gates opened to spend the day at Lagoon. I don't know who was more excited, the kids or Scott and I. We love amusement parks and roller coasters.


I wasn't sure how I was going to top last year or even make it 1/2 as good. How can you top Disneyland, Legoland, Sea World, and the BEACH! I had a huge educational road trip planned, but with Emmett's surgery and all the driving, I quickly rethought it and we'll do it in a few years when the kids are older.
So the next best thing. A little of my original plan and some extra fun for the kids. Off we went - first stop was Lagoon. We arrived in Utah around 5ish and immediately drove to Provo to visit Scott's uncle who just had brain surgery. We explained to the kids about Uncle Woody's head and what to expect. Paige was curious, Trent was not interested and stayed by the door the entire time, and Garhett was kind hearted to sit and talk with Uncle Woody.
Scott, Aunt Sharon and Uncle Woody
Uncle Woody
Aunt Sharon and Paige
After our visit with Aunt Sharon and Uncle Woody, we had some dinner and headed back to our hotel in Ogden. Oh by the way, Happy Anniversary Scott, 14 years ago today!
2nd Day of Fun!!!:Today we started our morning off with a swim, then a late breakfast and arrived when the gates opened to spend the day at Lagoon. I don't know who was more excited, the kids or Scott and I. We love amusement parks and roller coasters.
Emmett enjoying a boat ride with Trent

Everyone loves the carousel!

Paige, Trent and Garhett enjoying the swing ride.


As the day got later, we noticed big black clouds rolling in. We knew we were going to get some thunder boomers, and wondered how Lagoon handled thunder boomers. So as the rain and lightening moved in, the crowds got smaller and the rides started to close. The water park shut down for the day, which was a bummer, we didn't get to spend anytime there. Perfect time to take a food break, so we grabbed some food and waited. The rain got harder and harder, the lightening got closer and closer. More rides closed, but the park remained open. Odd.
This is one of the times when there is a big difference between husband/wife and mom's/dad's. We had been enjoying ourselves at the park for 4 1/2 hours, so with the rain, I was okay to go and be done for the day. However the park still had 5 hours of open time. Scott thought we should wait it out at the park and stay until the park closed. I thought we should wait it out somewhere else or just call it good and go back to the hotel. So we decided to take the kids to Chuck E Cheese to wait out the rain.
I know most parents cringe at the mere mention of Chuck E Cheese, but as I have said in posts before, I don't mind Chuck E Cheese. In fact, this time we ALL had a blast. Garhett and I challenged each other on this cool virtual jump rope game. Can I just say, it's time for bladder surgery. :O} After about 2 hours, the weather cleared up enough for us to go back to Lagoon. The crowds were low, the lines were short, and we stayed until the park closed, so we had another 3 hours of fun!
PHEW!! What a day! The kids were all happy to get back to the hotel and crash. We didn't have anything on our agenda for day 3 but travel, so the kids slept in beautifully.
3rd Day of Fun!!!:Today I thought it would be fun to take the kids to the Dinosaur Park before we were stuck in the car all day. When we lived in Utah, we took Garhett a couple of times. This should be fun! A morning of walking the paths of the park, a little playing, and then a 5 hour car ride that we all should nap on. Fun times, I'm telling you!!!
When we first arrived, Paige was feeling a little apprehensive about the whole idea of dinosaurs in a park. We reassured her that they weren't real, only pretend. So our first Dino outside, I wanted to get a picture of all the kids. There was a huge life size T-Rex standing over a Dino that he took a bite out of. There was fake blood on the wounded Dino. I asked the kids to get by the dead Dino so I could take the picture. Paige wasn't having it! I wish I would have caught the whole thing on video, but I wasn't thinking about that during the commotion. The closer we brought Paige, the higher and louder her scream became. She was causing so much commotion, that the other visitors began to walk over thinking there was something seriously wrong. When there wasn't, just her dad and I torturing her for a picture by a Dino. So instead of just the kids in a candid shot, Scott had to hold Paige.

As the day went on, Paige started to feel more comfortable around the Dino's. She actually asked me to take her picture next to the"Ah, cute one" in her words.










Everyone loves the carousel!
Paige, Trent and Garhett enjoying the swing ride.
As the day got later, we noticed big black clouds rolling in. We knew we were going to get some thunder boomers, and wondered how Lagoon handled thunder boomers. So as the rain and lightening moved in, the crowds got smaller and the rides started to close. The water park shut down for the day, which was a bummer, we didn't get to spend anytime there. Perfect time to take a food break, so we grabbed some food and waited. The rain got harder and harder, the lightening got closer and closer. More rides closed, but the park remained open. Odd.
This is one of the times when there is a big difference between husband/wife and mom's/dad's. We had been enjoying ourselves at the park for 4 1/2 hours, so with the rain, I was okay to go and be done for the day. However the park still had 5 hours of open time. Scott thought we should wait it out at the park and stay until the park closed. I thought we should wait it out somewhere else or just call it good and go back to the hotel. So we decided to take the kids to Chuck E Cheese to wait out the rain.
I know most parents cringe at the mere mention of Chuck E Cheese, but as I have said in posts before, I don't mind Chuck E Cheese. In fact, this time we ALL had a blast. Garhett and I challenged each other on this cool virtual jump rope game. Can I just say, it's time for bladder surgery. :O} After about 2 hours, the weather cleared up enough for us to go back to Lagoon. The crowds were low, the lines were short, and we stayed until the park closed, so we had another 3 hours of fun!
PHEW!! What a day! The kids were all happy to get back to the hotel and crash. We didn't have anything on our agenda for day 3 but travel, so the kids slept in beautifully.
3rd Day of Fun!!!:Today I thought it would be fun to take the kids to the Dinosaur Park before we were stuck in the car all day. When we lived in Utah, we took Garhett a couple of times. This should be fun! A morning of walking the paths of the park, a little playing, and then a 5 hour car ride that we all should nap on. Fun times, I'm telling you!!!
When we first arrived, Paige was feeling a little apprehensive about the whole idea of dinosaurs in a park. We reassured her that they weren't real, only pretend. So our first Dino outside, I wanted to get a picture of all the kids. There was a huge life size T-Rex standing over a Dino that he took a bite out of. There was fake blood on the wounded Dino. I asked the kids to get by the dead Dino so I could take the picture. Paige wasn't having it! I wish I would have caught the whole thing on video, but I wasn't thinking about that during the commotion. The closer we brought Paige, the higher and louder her scream became. She was causing so much commotion, that the other visitors began to walk over thinking there was something seriously wrong. When there wasn't, just her dad and I torturing her for a picture by a Dino. So instead of just the kids in a candid shot, Scott had to hold Paige.
As the day went on, Paige started to feel more comfortable around the Dino's. She actually asked me to take her picture next to the"Ah, cute one" in her words.
We had a lot of fun at the dinosaur park. Good fun memories were made today. Now back in the car for our long drive to Yellowstone National Park. Look for Part 2 of our Family Vacation.

1 comment:
Lagoon looks like a blast, to bad I am the only one in the family who likes roller coasters (actually that's not true, Alise does but she's to small to ride most). When Alise is older, I am going too! Can't wait to see part 2.
Post a Comment